Saturday, November 08, 2008

Squares Aplenty!




Above you'll see a few of the squares for the Lion Brand CAL (made using Red Heart) and all with an H hook, but I kind of got side tracked with that project but only for the short term.

I'm on a granny square kick and lovin' every minute of it, let me tell you! I've been wanting to hone my crochet skills for awhile now and challenge myself with a few more intricate patterns. Sometimes I'm in the midst of one and I know I'm doing something wrong, or I've missed a key part of the directions and I don't always know how to fix my mistake right off the bat. However, I'm more stubborn than I used to be so I trudge on and rip out, curse a bit, and rip out again if absolutely necessary.


I've been working on squares from a Better Homes & Gardens Crocheting & Knitting (1977) and the afghan has sampler squares of every variety and the thing is that some of the directions are have errors in them, so it's a big challenge sometimes to figure out what's what. When I can't, I go to my pals at Ravelry where every crochet & knit problem can eventually be solved by some of the fiber wizards who frequent the site. Below is a picture of several of the squares I've crocheted from the BH&G book and I gotta' tell you, it's addictive.



The top squares were crocheted using Vanna's Choice (100% acrylic) and it's the first time I've used this yarn. I really like the loftiness of it and the way it makes the patterns pop so much more than the bottom two which were done with Red Heart. I think I'll be using VC more often in the future especially for things made to throw into the washer and dryer. I can't say yet how it will hold up in the long run, but we'll see.

No comments: