Sunday, October 15, 2006

Looking for Afghan Pattern


I have about 10 skeins of Rowanspun Chunky and I've been trying to find an afghan pattern that would work using this yarn. It's a tweedy type wool with that sheepy smell still on it but I don't mind that because I know that once I wash and block it, it will smell sweet, but what I am concerned about is the weight of the finished blanket. I'd like something that is lofty but not too 'holey'. Would anyone have any suggestions and what are your thoughts about this yarn if you've used it for any crocheting?

Above is a picture of 4 rows that I did last night in single crochet, using 2 strands of yarn together and casting on an odd number of stitches, skipping the first stitch, sc into the next, ch 1, skip the next st, sc, ch 1 and so on but even though this would wind up being warm and snuggy in the end, it will probably weigh a ton.....so this won't work.


The color is a bit blah, but on the other hand, it would go with anyone's decor and I would like to give the completed afghan to my son and future daughter-in-law at her bridal shower in late January, 2007. I've tried a few pattern stitches that I have on hand but so far, nothing really flatters the yarn or seems to work well with the texture of it. I really hope I don't have to abandon this yarn or I don't know what else I would want to make with it.



So, as you can readily see, I really need your help in trying to get all my ducks in a row here, LOL, and all suggestions are welcomed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
If you're going to use a simple design, say straight double crochet stitches, then I'd like to recommend that you use a really large crochet hook and "linked stitches." The large crochet hook will reduce the weight while the linked stitches will reduce the "holes."

Otherwise, try my all-time favorite stitch known as the "bushy." It has a fantastic texture look to it without a lot of fuss. It's featured in the book known as "The Stitch Bible."

Looking forward to seeing what you decide upon,
~Dee